Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steroids and drafting...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Steroids and drafting...

Postby WittyC » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:32 am

I'm not sure if this has been fully explored or not, so here's what I'm wondering...

With MLB's new testing policy, which as far as I can tell will be legit, who are some of the other players that haven't been fingered yet who could be affected by this? Could this possibly affect your drafting of these players?

Some names I'll throw out...

Sosa -- c'mon, we all know
Pujols -- he's not really 25, so who knows if he's always been this big
Thome -- the guys is huge, but doesn't really look like a roid rager
Beltre -- he did have a significant jump in power, but still listed at a pretty svelte 220 pounds
Aramis -- pretty big guy and has had some nagging-type injuries
Manny -- i doubt it, but possible
Sheffield -- use to train w/ Bonds and almost certainly has before
Vlad -- probably too fat to be on roids, but if they implement a weed-testing policy, look out!
Bagwell -- well, i guess no one was gonna draft him anyways
Konerko -- 41 HR's, but certainly doesn't show the signs
Dunn -- actually, he just closes his eyes and swings as hard as he can

If you can think of any others, feel free to join in.

I'm not saying any of these guys are juicing for sure, but I just think they could be candidates. In no way am I actually saying flat out that these guys are on roids (except Sosa, and I said it when he was with Chi-Town, too).

Could the new testing policy have some effect on these guys' performances, or is this just a crapshoot that we can't factor in at all?
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:47 am

One guy that you can say was juicing for sure: Gary Sheffield. He admitted to using steroids with Bonds in an SI interview I believe. I don't think this has any fantasy relevence though.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby nikku88 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:39 am

I don't think it should affect drafting them, because so far nobody has ever been caught and I think most people take stuff that the tests won't be able to detect anyway.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Steroids and drafting...

Postby Skippyoz » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:45 am

WittyC wrote:
Sosa -- c'mon, we all know
Pujols -- he's not really 25, so who knows if he's always been this big
Thome -- the guys is huge, but doesn't really look like a roid rager
Beltre -- he did have a significant jump in power, but still listed at a pretty svelte 220 pounds
Aramis -- pretty big guy and has had some nagging-type injuries
Manny -- i doubt it, but possible
Sheffield -- use to train w/ Bonds and almost certainly has before
Vlad -- probably too fat to be on roids, but if they implement a weed-testing policy, look out!
Bagwell -- well, i guess no one was gonna draft him anyways
Konerko -- 41 HR's, but certainly doesn't show the signs
Dunn -- actually, he just closes his eyes and swings as hard as he can

While I do think that some players may lose production even more with a stricter steroid policy and a greater eye of scrutiny (i.e. Sosa, Bonds, Sheffield, Giambi) some names just don't make sense. Manny? Dunn?

When you say Albert Pujols is not 25, what are you talking about?

To play it safe, you could go for "established" "hitters" while picking, and try to avoid the "sluggers" in the game.
Skippyoz
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Steroids and drafting...

Postby nikku88 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:55 am

Skippyoz wrote:When you say Albert Pujols is not 25, what are you talking about?

There have always been rumours that Pujols is older than he says. Lots of players had lied about their age before. Soriano aged 2 years after he was traded. With Pujols, we might never know. I think he has American citizenship now.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yanks Ruined It » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:03 am

I saw Thome play as a rookie at old muni stadium (kid got his autograph)and the man was not even close to being a big man and now look!!! Other then Rocky Colivito ,Thome was the most loved man to play in Cleveland, but the man had to juice
If there is baseball in heaven!!!! Be very aware of the starting lineup
Yanks Ruined It
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby lesgrant » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:08 am

I’m sure that the list of steroid users is significantly longer than the list above. So much so that I don’t think there is any way to devise a draft strategy to take them into account.

Moreover, all of our speculation with respects to individuals whose names have yet to surface anywhere will have us going around in circles. I don’t think you can tell, just by looking at someone.

We’re just gonna have to roll the dice. :-o
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Pochucker » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:36 am

I believe there was decline in total hrs last year and I expect to see at least a 15% decline this year.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -9)

Postby Tavish » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:44 am

Pochucker wrote:I believe there was decline in total hrs last year and I expect to see at least a 15% decline this year.

Actually there was an increase in HRs last season over the previous.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:47 pm

i dont think thome is on roids. he is big but he isnt muscular. same goes for dunn. if sosa was on roids, he almost certainly was off of them last year so i dont think testing will affect his value this year. the only one i have some suspicions about is beltre, but there really isnt enough for me to change my value of him.

pujols' age has been looked into a number of times and nothing seemed to come of it. his case is a little different than most of the other age liars because albert moved to the US when he was in high school. the high schools thought he may have been lying about his age so they investigated and ended up ruling that not only was he eligible, but he could have an additional year of HS eligibility if he wanted it. the cards looked into it before signing him to the 100 million deal. doesnt mean he wasnt lying though. maybe the cards found out differently and just decided to keep it secret. still, i think the odds are better that he is 25 than 28. even if he were 28, would it make a difference?
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers