Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steroids and drafting...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Steroids and drafting...

Postby Rico The Retard » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:50 pm

nikku88 wrote:
Skippyoz wrote:When you say Albert Pujols is not 25, what are you talking about?

There have always been rumours that Pujols is older than he says. Lots of players had lied about their age before. Soriano aged 2 years after he was traded. With Pujols, we might never know. I think he has American citizenship now.

ya i remember they found out ramon ortiz was 27 when he said he was like 22 a few years ago, lol
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -144)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:09 pm

Brian Giles?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby stumpak » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:59 pm

Roids help pitchers too, so I don't think that a juiceless era will equate to an era of reduced offense.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:06 pm

Yoda wrote:Brian Giles?

Man, if his numbers last year were based on 'roids, he oughtta give 'em up.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Re: Steroids and drafting...

Postby Boogster26 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:44 pm

Sosa -- c'mon, we all know
Pujols -- he's not really 25, so who knows if he's always been this big
Thome -- the guys is huge, but doesn't really look like a roid rager
Beltre -- he did have a significant jump in power, but still listed at a pretty svelte 220 pounds
Aramis -- pretty big guy and has had some nagging-type injuries
Manny -- i doubt it, but possible
Sheffield -- use to train w/ Bonds and almost certainly has before
Vlad -- probably too fat to be on roids, but if they implement a weed-testing policy, look out!
Bagwell -- well, i guess no one was gonna draft him anyways
Konerko -- 41 HR's, but certainly doesn't show the signs
Dunn -- actually, he just closes his eyes and swings as hard as he can

In my mind, Thome, Sosa, and Bagwell are undoubtely on juice. I also think Manny is. I saw a picture of him this spring, and he looked smaller. Remember, Manny came into the Indians minor league system as a SHORTSTOP.

Here's another name-- used to get injured a lot. Now he plays a bunch of games. A huge guy. My vote for first half NL MVP. Definite heavy 'roid user-- Scott Rolen.
Boogster26
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:04 am

This is all speculation with almost no evidence, with the exception of Sheff, who admitted to using but not knowingly. Nagging injuries is a weak claim, I guess JD Drew is on roids also, and Melvin Mora, etc.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Roids

Postby Boogster26 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:33 am

Not Melvin Mora but, yeah, I think JD Drew is on steroids.
Boogster26
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:32 am

When baseball first tested for steriod use, at least 50 or 60 players were stupid enough to get caught. So sititing down, making a list, and then accusing 10 or 15 people of a crime, because of how they look, is not my way of preparing for a season. :-t
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Hard Time

Postby Boogster26 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:13 am

Well, I'm not exactly sending them to San Quentin for 20 to life of hard time.

And I don't think it's 10 - 15 people. I think it's more like 300 - 400.

And, I think it's pretty obvious. I mean take a picture of Scott Rolen and put it alongside a picture of Mike Schmidt. And then take into account Rolen's concurrent leaps in productivity and durability. And then take into account how maniacally competitive you have to be to make it to the major leagues. (I think most of these guys would do just about anything to make more than the guy sitting next to him. Just like those Olympic athletes who, in a poll a few years ago, overwhelmingly said they would sacrifice years off their lives to win a gold medal. Do you really think professional baseball players are less driven than the top women sprinters, all of whom seem to have used steroids?)

And one more question. Do you know how to make those little boxes that quote the post you're replying to?
Boogster26
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Hard Time

Postby Woolly » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:47 am

Boogster26 wrote:Well, I'm not exactly sending them to San Quentin for 20 to life of hard time.

And I don't think it's 10 - 15 people. I think it's more like 300 - 400.

And, I think it's pretty obvious. I mean take a picture of Scott Rolen and put it alongside a picture of Mike Schmidt. And then take into account Rolen's concurrent leaps in productivity and durability. And then take into account how maniacally competitive you have to be to make it to the major leagues. (I think most of these guys would do just about anything to make more than the guy sitting next to him. Just like those Olympic athletes who, in a poll a few years ago, overwhelmingly said they would sacrifice years off their lives to win a gold medal. Do you really think professional baseball players are less driven than the top women sprinters, all of whom seem to have used steroids?)

And one more question. Do you know how to make those little boxes that quote the post you're replying to?

At the top of the post you want to quote, there is a button that says "quote. Click it and you will see the message already typed in your response window. However, you can put anything in a quote window though by just highlighting the text ane then clicking the
Quote button at the top of your reply window.
Woolly
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers