Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ryan Freel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby EricF » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:45 pm

quicksilver8 wrote:apparently I don't know how to use the quote function yet

You almost got it. If you want to quote the whole message, as I did yours, just click the "quote" button in the upper right corner of the message, and when "Post a Reply" comes up, click after the final character, enter a couple of times to bring your cursor down, and enter your text.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -20)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EricF » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:50 pm

Yes, unfortunately Freel's value is high upside, but presently low value. He will play when other regulars rest, or if a middle infielder doesn't perform up to expectations, or when there are a couple of injuries, but predicting how much he will play in a given week, not to mention a given day, is a roll of the dice.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sunspot » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:46 pm

I think the Reds blew it when they didn't trade Pena. They could have improved there bullpen with him. When you have guys like Pena and Freel sitting on your bench it's a waste. I understand that the team has been injury prone, but that seems like a wasted insurance policy to me. Don't get me wrong, thats great to have a bench like that, but when you have weaknesses too, you need to try and trade the overabundance of wealth for necesities. Freel needs the oppertunity!
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:39 pm

Sunspot wrote:I think the Reds blew it when they didn't trade Pena. They could have improved there bullpen with him. When you have guys like Pena and Freel sitting on your bench it's a waste. I understand that the team has been injury prone, but that seems like a wasted insurance policy to me. Don't get me wrong, thats great to have a bench like that, but when you have weaknesses too, you need to try and trade the overabundance of wealth for necesities. Freel needs the oppertunity!

Pena is the absolute last player the Reds should trade. His value is only going to go higher, and he and Dunn are the only players they can rely on to stay healthy. Griffey or Kearns are the only two to consider trading, but their values are so low right now that the Reds pretty much don't have a choice and won't be able to make any trades.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:51 am

I think Pena is first off the bench. I plan to throw our Freel so the scrub that isnt doing his homework in my league bids him up nice and high!
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -146)

Postby PhillyFan1 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:10 am

He will play in that injury prone line-up, and he will play alot. I think he will produce to, and the stolen bases will be a given.
"I am, who I become; therefore success is not a destination, but rather a never ending journey."
PhillyFan1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sunspot » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:34 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Sunspot wrote:I think the Reds blew it when they didn't trade Pena. They could have improved there bullpen with him. When you have guys like Pena and Freel sitting on your bench it's a waste. I understand that the team has been injury prone, but that seems like a wasted insurance policy to me. Don't get me wrong, thats great to have a bench like that, but when you have weaknesses too, you need to try and trade the overabundance of wealth for necesities. Freel needs the oppertunity!

Pena is the absolute last player the Reds should trade. His value is only going to go higher, and he and Dunn are the only players they can rely on to stay healthy. Griffey or Kearns are the only two to consider trading, but their values are so low right now that the Reds pretty much don't have a choice and won't be able to make any trades.

That is the reason why they should have traded Pena, his upside could fetch them something useful for now. You are right as to why they can't trade Kearns or Griffey, they just have to sit on these guys and pray for healthy seasons from them, and maybe then they would be able to get something for them. They need Freel for his versatility and that leaves Pena as the only trade bait they have.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby EricF » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:05 pm

Sunspot,

The Reds already upgraded their bullpen, signing Mercker, Weathers, and Weber this offseason, who should do a more than adequate job while allowing Ryan Wagner and Todd Coffey to grow into their future bullpen roles. What the Reds need is more starting pitching, and if they find a team willing to deal a top-of-the-line starter, they will listen to offers for Pena.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers