Return to Baseball Leftovers

expansion?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

expansion?

Postby free » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:34 am

i've decided to become an expansion team in a 12 team auction each team keeping 5 players. i get to pick 5 keepers for my team off of the remaining rosters or FA list. these are the best players available who are not overpriced and would leave me some money to auction with ($260 cap). which five out of these would you take to start your team with :-?

ichiro $25
benitez $16
c. patterson $11
cordero $1
mota $1
hoffman $13
konerko $1
hafner $1
m. giles $15
h matsui $9
rollins $5
schmidt $28
Last edited by free on Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 825
(Past Year: -16)
Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: charleston, wv

Postby slomo007 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:37 am

I'd go:

Ichiro
Hafner/Konerko toss up
Matsui
Mota
Rollins@5/Chad Cordero@1, toss up in my mind.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11890
(Past Year: -70)
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:42 am

It would be nice to take Ichiro at $25 which is a good price but there are some steals available here so I would look to get my studs in the auction.

I would take

Hafner $1
Konerko $1
Mota $1
Cordero $1
Rollins $5

Assuming a $260 cap that is awesome value for $9 and leaves you $251.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18680
(Past Year: -120)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby slomo007 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:45 am

Amazinz wrote:It would be nice to take Ichiro at $25 which is a good price but there are some steals available here so I would look to get my studs in the auction.

I would take

Hafner $1
Konerko $1
Mota $1
Cordero $1
Rollins $5

Assuming a $260 cap that is awesome value for $9 and leaves you $251.


Yeah the more I think about it, the more I am agreeing with taking the steals. I like Ichiro a lot at $25, but you should definitely do what Amazinz said and just take all of the values. You can always trade some of them later, is their an inseason salary cap?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11890
(Past Year: -70)
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:47 am

To start my team out of these guys, I would choose...

Rollins $5
Konerko $1
Hafner $1
Mota $1
Ichiro $25 = $33

not bad
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8456
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:48 am

The only problem with most of those bargain players is that this is a 6 man league. You will very likely find the same type of talent sitting on the WW. Ichiro, Hafner, Schmidt, and Rollins are all very reasonable for the price. In a small league you are going to need some big guns to work with.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 10554
(Past Year: -510)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby free » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:49 am

slomo007 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:It would be nice to take Ichiro at $25 which is a good price but there are some steals available here so I would look to get my studs in the auction.

I would take

Hafner $1
Konerko $1
Mota $1
Cordero $1
Rollins $5

Assuming a $260 cap that is awesome value for $9 and leaves you $251.


Yeah the more I think about it, the more I am agreeing with taking the steals. I like Ichiro a lot at $25, but you should definitely do what Amazinz said and just take all of the values. You can always trade some of them later, is their an inseason salary cap?[/quote




as far as i know the only cap is $260. also this is a standard 5x5.
Image
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 825
(Past Year: -16)
Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: charleston, wv

Postby free » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:50 am

Tavish wrote:The only problem with most of those bargain players is that this is a 6 man league. You will very likely find the same type of talent sitting on the WW. Ichiro, Hafner, Schmidt, and Rollins are all very reasonable for the price. In a small league you are going to need some big guns to work with.



where did you get 6 team league :-? it's a 12 team in case anyone is wondering ;-D


ah i see where you can get that from my orig post....fixed !+)
Last edited by free on Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 825
(Past Year: -16)
Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: charleston, wv

Postby slomo007 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:51 am

free wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:It would be nice to take Ichiro at $25 which is a good price but there are some steals available here so I would look to get my studs in the auction.

I would take

Hafner $1
Konerko $1
Mota $1
Cordero $1
Rollins $5

Assuming a $260 cap that is awesome value for $9 and leaves you $251.


Yeah the more I think about it, the more I am agreeing with taking the steals. I like Ichiro a lot at $25, but you should definitely do what Amazinz said and just take all of the values. You can always trade some of them later, is their an inseason salary cap?[/quote




as far as i know the only cap is $260. also this is a standard 5x5.


You may want to find out if there is an inseason cap. The reason for this is because if there is no inseason cap, you would be able to trade some of those $1 to other teams for players that are worth well more than $1. So if you got Rollins, you could trade him for someone worth well more than $1.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11890
(Past Year: -70)
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:53 am

free wrote:
Tavish wrote:The only problem with most of those bargain players is that this is a 6 man league. You will very likely find the same type of talent sitting on the WW. Ichiro, Hafner, Schmidt, and Rollins are all very reasonable for the price. In a small league you are going to need some big guns to work with.



where did you get 6 team league :-? it's a 12 team in case anyone is wondering ;-D


ah i see where you can get that from my orig post....fixed !+)


Yeah the 5 team keeper threw me off, figured you were the 6th. ;-D
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 10554
(Past Year: -510)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron