Return to Baseball Leftovers

expansion?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:53 am

Tavish has been drinking again. Don't mind him. He's mostly harmless. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby free » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:55 am

slomo007 wrote:
free wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:It would be nice to take Ichiro at $25 which is a good price but there are some steals available here so I would look to get my studs in the auction.

I would take

Hafner $1
Konerko $1
Mota $1
Cordero $1
Rollins $5

Assuming a $260 cap that is awesome value for $9 and leaves you $251.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I am agreeing with taking the steals. I like Ichiro a lot at $25, but you should definitely do what Amazinz said and just take all of the values. You can always trade some of them later, is their an inseason salary cap?[/quote

as far as i know the only cap is $260. also this is a standard 5x5.

You may want to find out if there is an inseason cap. The reason for this is because if there is no inseason cap, you would be able to trade some of those $1 to other teams for players that are worth well more than $1. So if you got Rollins, you could trade him for someone worth well more than $1.

not quite sure i understand :-? each team has to stay under 260 all season. thanks for the help
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -16)

Postby slomo007 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:03 am

free wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
free wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:It would be nice to take Ichiro at $25 which is a good price but there are some steals available here so I would look to get my studs in the auction.

I would take

Hafner $1
Konerko $1
Mota $1
Cordero $1
Rollins $5

Assuming a $260 cap that is awesome value for $9 and leaves you $251.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I am agreeing with taking the steals. I like Ichiro a lot at $25, but you should definitely do what Amazinz said and just take all of the values. You can always trade some of them later, is their an inseason salary cap?[/quote

as far as i know the only cap is $260. also this is a standard 5x5.

You may want to find out if there is an inseason cap. The reason for this is because if there is no inseason cap, you would be able to trade some of those $1 to other teams for players that are worth well more than $1. So if you got Rollins, you could trade him for someone worth well more than $1.

not quite sure i understand :-? each team has to stay under 260 all season. thanks for the help

A lot of keeper leagues don't impose a $260 cap during the season, rather they just say that you have to start a season with a $260 cap. The reason for this is to allow for more trades during the season...and allow the teams that are making a run at the title a chance to play for now, and a chance for the teams who are already out of it to trade away their studs for some young keepers and build for next year. I don't think I would want to play in a league where an inseason cap is implemented...I think it would make trades much harder to make.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby Tavish » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:09 am

Amazinz wrote:Tavish has been drinking again. Don't mind him. He's mostly harmless. :-D

Oh yeah? Well Pedro's arm is going to fall off in the first game, Beltran is going to hit .220, and Mo Vaughn is going to sign with the Braves and be the NL MVP. How you like dem apples? }:-)
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:15 am

Hah. I'm a jaded Mets fan, wouldn't phase me. :-° :-o
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Re: expansion?

Postby free » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:21 am

free wrote:i've decided to become an expansion team in a 12 team auction each team keeping 5 players. i get to pick 5 keepers for my team off of the remaining rosters or FA list. these are the best players available who are not overpriced and would leave me some money to auction with ($260 cap). which five out of these would you take to start your team with :-?

ichiro $25
benitez $16
c. patterson $11
cordero $1
mota $1
hoffman $13
konerko $1
hafner $1
m. giles $15
h matsui $9
rollins $5
schmidt $28

bump
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -16)

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:28 am

Wow, those are some awesome deals! I'd go with...

Closers: Cordero, Mota
1B: Konerko
SS: Rollins
Util: Hafner

Thats only $9! Now you can spend a whole bunch on hitters and starting pitchers. I would love to be in that position, especially as an expansion team! ;-D
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Re: expansion?

Postby GiantFan666 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:58 am

free wrote:i've decided to become an expansion team in a 12 team auction each team keeping 5 players. i get to pick 5 keepers for my team off of the remaining rosters or FA list. these are the best players available who are not overpriced and would leave me some money to auction with ($260 cap). which five out of these would you take to start your team with :-?

ichiro $25
benitez $16
c. patterson $11
cordero $1
mota $1
hoffman $13
konerko $1
hafner $1
m. giles $15
h matsui $9
rollins $5
schmidt $28