Return to Baseball Leftovers

How on Earth....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:12 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
nikku88 wrote:The baseball draft isn't like football or baseketball, many players don't develop until they are in the minors, so many top picks never make it and many great players are drafted late.
Wasn't Piazza drafted in the 60th round or something?

yea and Brien Taylor was the first pick overall in the early 90's and look how he turned out..... the baseball draft is much more of a crapshoot than football and basketball which is why the baseball draft is not televised and auditioned like the NBA and NFL drafts are on ESPN.......

Also, most baseball draftees are unknowns out of high school or college, and no one really follows college baseball like they do football or basketball. Out of those sports, those players are already superstars because they are so well known.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:56 pm

giants8307 wrote:Yeah, Pujols moved to New york as a sophomore in high school and went to maple woods CC. He hit .461 with 22 homers his first year and was drafted by the cards in the 13th round.

Maple Woods is a CC in Kansas City MO. My alma mater. ;-D I saw him a few times when he was in high school at Fort Osage when he absolutely destroyed my high school team. I spent so much time drinking at Maple Woods that I didn't even realize we had a baseball team. :-o
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby perlick29 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:00 pm

Arlo wrote:
wrveres wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:
kingctb27 wrote:Wow, your right....Piazza went in the 62nd round of the 1988 draft. Not bad for the best hitting catcher of all time....

You really think he is the best hitting catcher of all time?

Not a doubt in my mind. ;-D

If we're purely talking about hitting per se, I'd probably still give the nod to Ernie Lombardi. :-)

You're the best Arlo. I read about him in the Historical Baseball Abstract by Bill James. From what he said, he very well could have been right up there. ;-D
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -75)

Postby Tavish » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:25 pm

kingctb27 wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:
kingctb27 wrote:Wow, your right....Piazza went in the 62nd round of the 1988 draft. Not bad for the best hitting catcher of all time....

Not any doubt in my mind that he's the best Hitting catcher of all time....

Josh Gibson
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:49 pm

Tavish wrote:
kingctb27 wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:

Not any doubt in my mind that he's the best Hitting catcher of all time....

Josh Gibson

*golf claps* for Tavish!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers