Return to Baseball Leftovers

Loretta:One year wonder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Loretta:One year wonder?

Postby Json959 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:45 pm

He was far and away the best 2nd basebmen in my FP league last year and I picked him up this year in the 6th round ahead of Kent and Giles.

Loretta led all second basemen in batting average, on-base percentage, OPS, total bases and runs created last year.

But the deal breaker for me when looking to see whether he's overrated is when I see a team described as being "enamored" when talking about a player.

Throw on top of that the fact that he's 33, an age not known for being inconsistent, and I think he should at least stay within "ballpark stats" of last year, and that's all I need.

Thoughts?
Json959
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:53 pm

He is far from a one year wonder. His 2003 was very good as well.

Having said that, in 5 x 5 leagues he is possibly being slightly over-rated this season, having to play half his games in a tough hitters ball park.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -27)

Postby Strasil42 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:23 pm

loretta is better than both of those guys.
nice pick. ;-D
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -53)

Postby Rico The Retard » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:24 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:He is far from a one year wonder. His 2003 was very good as well.

Having said that, in 5 x 5 leagues he is possibly being slightly over-rated this season, having to play half his games in a tough hitters ball park.

agreed hes still a top option at second but hes playing in petco so thats going to affect him quite a bit
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -144)

Postby Tavish » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:39 pm

I think you made a mistake taking him over Kent or Giles. Loretta is a fine 2B but hasn't put up the numbers to be considered above either one. Of course if your are playing a FP league basically anyone could be the #1 player at a postion depending on how the points fall.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby mtarail » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:44 pm

1st of all, Loretta played all of last year at Petco, so I don't see how Petco is gonna affect his #'s this year. Actually, its interesting to look at his split stats. He hit 11 jacks at home last year vs. 5 on the road, but his BA was much lower at home.

I think Loretta is gonna have another awesome year. They guys been mr. consistency over the last 2 years, and he just is a very, very good hitter. But I'd rather have Giles, who, IMO is clearly the 2nd best fantasy 2B.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:57 pm

Hardly. His 03 was good and hes always been a good hitter. He will probably end up being the 3 best 2B (not sure he'll be better than Giles, but Kent has been declining the past few years so I think he'll finish ahead.)
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby Juhlz » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:17 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:He is far from a one year wonder. His 2003 was very good as well.

I don't see how Petco factors into his stat line. Lo is a gap, linedrive hitter and the bigger gaps actually favor his style of hitting. Do you think Kent or Giles are in good hitters parks? No. Additionally, Loretta's homeruns come when he pulls the ball and at Petco the dead pull homerun only needs to go 331 to 375 over a very short 9 foot wall. Moreover, he is less of an injury risk than Kent or Giles...
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby justinA » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:05 pm

His career avg. is now over .300 with last season's great performance, so he is well beyond "one year wonder" status. Its just last year he was solid in every category, and the Padres were so much better he got more recognition.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:16 pm

I have Loretta ranked 3rd in the Mixed league. Soriano and Giles are 1 and 2.Do you think this is a right because I have to get a TOP 2B and need to make sure I get the right one in my AUCTION league
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -146)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers