Trade: St. Louis Cardinals and Cincinnati Reds

These owners grab real life teams and try to work deals to benefit their real life clubs of choice before the trade deadline passes. Hop in and check out what kinds of things they are looking at and doing.
sportsaddict
T-Ball Trainer

Trade: St. Louis Cardinals and Cincinnati Reds

Post by sportsaddict »

St. Louis receives:

Chris Valaika (SS)
David Weathers

Cincinnati receives:

Bryan Anderson (C)
Havok1517
T-Ball Trainer
Beginner: No
Roster Information: 12 Team 5X5 H2H 28 Man Roster Dynasty Keeper League

C: Salvador Perez (C)
1B: Joey Votto (1B)
2B: Gordon Beckham (2B)
3B: Aramis Ramirez (3B)
SS: Troy Tulowitski (SS)
OF: Carlos Gonzalez (OF)
OF: Ryan Braun (OF)
OF: Carlos Beltran (OF)
Util: Justin Morneau (1B)
Util: Michael Stanton (OF)
Bench: Nick Castellanos (3B)
Bench: Nick Markakis (OF)
Bench: Jonathan Villar (SS)
Bench: Javier Báez (SS)
Bench: Oscar Tavares (OF)
NA: Carlos Correa (SS)

SP: Felix Hernandez (SP)
SP: Zack Greinke (SP)
RP: Casey Janssen (RP)
RP: Jim Johnson (RP)
P: Ricky Nolasco (SP)
P: Jared Weaver (SP)
P: Yovani Gallardo (SP)
Bench: Lance Lynn (SP)
Bench: Jacob Turner (SP)
Bench: Yordano Ventura (SP)
Bench: Carlos Martinez (SP,RP)
Bench: Alex Wood (SP,RP)
NA: Robert Stephenson (SP)
NA: Max Fried (SP)

Farm System:
01: L. Brinson (Tex - OF)
02: Al. Reyes (Stl - SP)
03: Josh Bell (OF)
04. Drew Ward (3B)

Re: Trade: St. Louis Cardinals and Cincinnati Reds

Post by Havok1517 »

Accepted.

This was my thinking. The Reds are not likely to contend in the next 2 years. Weathers will soon be 38 and the move gets around $3 million off the books for the rest of this year and all of next year. Plus, Weathers is a decent setup man with average stuff on a good team. Valaika has had a great season in the minors but he's blocked thrice by Alex Gonzalez, Milton Loo, & Paul Janish. Many feel he will move to 2B but again he will be blocked by Brandon Phillips and at best would be a utility infielder with the current organizational depth in Cincinnati.

Even though the Reds drafted Devin Mesoraco in the 1st half of the 2007 draft. He is coming out of HS and will take at least 4 to 5 years to be ready. Bryan Anderson gives the Reds a great young controllable catcher with offensive potential who is alomst ready to contribute. When Mesoraco is ready, the Reds will then make the decision as to who they will go with for the future. So, the Reds fill a close future need (Anderson @ C), trade from a positional strength (Valaika @ SS), and rebuild some by getting the aging Weathers and his salary off the books.
sportsaddict
T-Ball Trainer

Re: Trade: St. Louis Cardinals and Cincinnati Reds

Post by sportsaddict »

Here is my thinking:

Bryan Anderson will never have a shot to be a St. Louis Cardinal. Yadier Molina is one of the best defensive catchers in the league and will be the starting catcher for several years. Anderson is a perfect trading chip, and with him I wanted to acquire an infield prospect, and I did that with Valaika. He's a promising young player and will take a few years to develop, but I think one day he'll be a viable option at SS for the Cardinals. He's got a bright future ahead of him and is pretty highly regarded. David Weathers bolsters the Cardinals bullpen for this season but more importantly next season, giving the Cardinals yet another solid reliever in addition to Izzy, Franklin, Springer, and others who have performed well this season.

While it's tough to give up Anderson, who also has a bright future ahead, with him being blocked by Molina, I can afford to give him up for a good young prospect in Valaika.

Return to “Real GM - Trade Deadline Edition”