What's the deal with D. Lowe?? sox starting rotation?

Sleepers, updates, strategy, advice ... if it doesn't fit one of the more specialized categories, it goes right here! (Note: Please do NOT post trade, keeper or 'rate my team' questions - they have separate forums.)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

red sox rule!!!
T-Ball Trainer

What's the deal with D. Lowe?? sox starting rotation?

Post by red sox rule!!! »

Anybody know what happened to him. Last I read in early December was that he was offered arbitration. After this I read or heard nothing more of him. Espn website says he is still with the sox. but the red sox website does not have him on their current roster.

If the sox resign him that gives the sox 7 solid starters... schilling, wells, clement, miller, arroyo, wakefield, lowe. Actually 8 if you consider Halama as a #5 starter. But i think he will remain in bullpen.

All these options I think give the sox management plenty of talent to make a few more moves. maybe throw one of these guys along with mientkiewicz and kim for better options at sp or rp. maybe even upgrade in the outfield??

I dunno maybe I'm talking non sense. any comments and input?
GreenMonsterGoon
T-Ball Trainer

you are

Post by GreenMonsterGoon »

You are talking nonsense....

Derek Lowe's career with the Sox is OVER. They didn't even invite him to post season celebrations.

He was offered abribration, but has stated he will reject it. Scott Boras, Lowe's agent, has stated he's looking for 4 yr/48 Mil. The most common rumor's the Globe has cited are either to Philly or LA>
Surfs up
T-Ball Trainer

Post by Surfs up »

Lowe isn't worth anywhere near 4 years 48 million. All the early rumors had him going to the Tigers. They may be a crappy team and have spent some money foolihly but they won't spend that kind of money on him. He is at best an average pitcher . He better take the next best offer because he could be looking at a year in Japan if he doesn't
GreenMonsterGoon
T-Ball Trainer

You know...

Lowe has the 2nd most wins of any AL pitcher over the last 4 years.

He looked excellent in closing out the series versus Anaheim, NY, and St. Louis. He has the Super Bowl Hero concept working for him.

Boras' philosophy is to have Lowe be the last premeir pitcher on the market and bid those teams who didn't address pitching against each other. It seems to be working.

Gammons wrote a column where he said as ridiculous as 12mil a year sounds, don't be surprised if he gets very close to that money.
Budworth22
T-Ball Trainer
Roster Information: 5X5, with OPS instead of AVG.

Post by Budworth22 »

"Lowe has the 2nd most wins of any AL pitcher over the last 4 years."

Wins really are a stupid stat. The pitcher has very little control over wins.

Boras' philosophy is to have Lowe be the last premeir pitcher on the market and bid those teams who didn't address pitching against each other. It seems to be working.

He's not even close to a premier pitcher. He had a 300 OBP against this year. He has a 1.5 k/bb ratio over the last 2 years.

On the plus side, 10 times last year Derrick lowe's opponent was a 3-1 or more underdog. Derrick Lowe is a large reason why I don't have a real job.
GreenMonsterGoon
T-Ball Trainer

Don't get me wrong...

I completely agree with you. I'm esctatic the Sox aren't interested in him.

I'm just saying, Boras will use those #'s and his recent performance to get a very good contract.

The no hitter doesn't hurt either.
Budworth22
T-Ball Trainer
Roster Information: 5X5, with OPS instead of AVG.

Post by Budworth22 »

Trust me, I Love Derrick Lowe. He's one of the pitchers who I highlight in RED on my spreadsheet. Matt Morriss is another. Also, Washburn, Sabathia, RUETER, Ponson, Moyer, Leiter, Russ Ortiz and ZITO!.

The guys I am most looking foward to this year to laying heavily against is Jake Westbrook, Kenny Rogers, Horacio Ramirez,
red sox rule!!!
T-Ball Trainer

Post by red sox rule!!! »

i think it sucks that the sox don't want him. He is a solid #5 in my opinion. I've been watching him pitch since he was in pawtucket. I even got his autograph in his first yr he played for pawtucket.

It seems like everyone i follow in pawtucket including lowe and nomar no longer play for red sox organization. Say bye bye to lowe :~(
Surfs up
T-Ball Trainer

Post by Surfs up »

That mainly because over the years the RedSox have treated some of their best players like crap. Jim Rice, Dwight Evans and Roger Clemens come to mind. I agree with the post above . Wins are over rated.
GreenMonsterGoon
T-Ball Trainer

We'll see I guess

My bet is he signs with LA for 9 mil a year. Depodesta has to make a big move

Return to “Baseball Leftovers”