Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Greg Holland?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Greg Holland?

Postby SecretAgentMan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:21 pm

In a std 5x5 Roto, 10 team mixed league, would you burn a #1 WW on him if you are carrying 4 closers already?
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2707)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Greg Holland?

Postby cinfante54 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:30 pm

No shot. Especially in a ten team league. Being away from baseball for as long as Holland was before signing will definitely hurt him performance wise.
cinfante54
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 395)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:55 pm

I don't see an advantage in starting more than 3 closers at a time with an inning limit. 5 seems like overkill.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby fast dogs » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:08 pm

I don't seem to agree with anyone these days, I still think Holland has a chance to be a top 10-12 closer on a good team w/o a good competitor to take away his job. You might be able to trade away 1-2 of your closers to someone else; it also might depend how many of the 4 closers you have are likely to keep their jobs all season long. He would be tough for me to let go, it isn't like he has been hit hard
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 417)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:41 am

fast dogs wrote:I don't seem to agree with anyone these days, I still think Holland has a chance to be a top 10-12 closer on a good team w/o a good competitor to take away his job. You might be able to trade away 1-2 of your closers to someone else; it also might depend how many of the 4 closers you have are likely to keep their jobs all season long. He would be tough for me to let go, it isn't like he has been hit hard

Yeah, but it is an extremely trade hostile league, so dealing closers for anything is a near impossibility in my experience. Plus, we have one of the 10 teams bagging saves already (drafted that way) so it is really 9 teams going after 30 closers\potential closers, so the demand is not as high as it would be. I have two good closers (Chapman and Doolittle), 2 mediocre ones whose hold on the job is dubious because they are injury fill-ins though they have been pretty solid (Strickland and Brach) and then I have Rodney lol. So it is actually 5 closers for the time being lol.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2707)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:42 pm

fast dogs wrote:I don't seem to agree with anyone these days, I still think Holland has a chance to be a top 10-12 closer on a good team w/o a good competitor to take away his job. You might be able to trade away 1-2 of your closers to someone else; it also might depend how many of the 4 closers you have are likely to keep their jobs all season long. He would be tough for me to let go, it isn't like he has been hit hard

I'm going to cop to a bias here. Everything you said is right but you left out one big variable and that is Matheny.
https://twitter.com/DSzymborski/status/ ... 0260663297
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby kev921 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:37 am

I'd say it depends on how big of a bench you can roster.
He's worth stashing on the bench as the potential is there
Some people take smoke breaks. I choose to take fantasy baseball breaks!
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -81)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:23 pm

I would

Brach/Strickland likely won't last long
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions