Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which 1B to pick up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which 1B to pick up?

Postby Cali Redneck » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:13 am

With Ryan Zimmerman slumping badly to start the season my team has a major hole at 1B, so I'm thinking of picking up someone else to potentially start if he continues to struggle. My current backup is Matt Davidson, but I have plenty of power at other positions and i'm worried his low AVG will end up being too much of a liability.

Here are some of the top options on waivers:

Joe Mauer
Derek Deitrich (also 2B, 3B and OF eligible)
Albert Pujols
Yuli Gurriel
Brandon Belt
Adrian Gonzales
https://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/57195/7
Cali Redneck
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 179)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which 1B to pick up?

Postby SecretAgentMan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:32 am

Stick with Davidson. Hope Zimmerman can stay on the field (doubtful). Really, when you drafted Zimmerman you took on the risk that he implodes\gets hurt like he usually does, so a slow start is not something to worry about at this point as we are in early April and the weather has been awful. As for the likelihood he can stay on the field, I avoided the guy because imo it is almost a certainty he can not do what he did last year again and not get hurt. But if you draft him, you take that risk and have to roll with it imo.

As to the others:
Mauer has empty numbers. Long since been the new Jason Kendall. Really had only one good year (2009) imo and has been putting up about 10 hrs and 70 or less rbis for the past 5+ years. Horrible production for a fantasy 1b and he does not necessarily even hit for avg in any given year. Posey is headed in the same direction imo as the preverbial over-rated C drafted by people who go by reputation. He at least though is still a C and C is a wasteland of a position offensively, so it is not nearly as bad.

Pujols is too old and will ultimately hurt your avg as well.

Belt is not a mixed league worthy player imo.

Adrian Gonzalez might have a bounce back year, but his better days are long gone imo and I would not count on a resurgence lasting long or him staying healthy.

Gurriel is hurt and at best is marginal, offering about 15\75 Hr\rbi numbers. Sort of a poor man's Hosmer at 1b.

Dietrich has no pop and is not mixed league worthy either imo.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2707)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions